The Brandenburg gate is situated at the end of a grand boulevard in Berlin. It was originally part of a wall surrounding Berlin, and was the main entrance to the city. It was constructed between 1778 and 1791.
Brandenburg Gate was designed by Carl Golgotha and commissioned by Emperor Wilhelm II.; The design was based on the Propylaea, the gateway to the Acropolis of Ancient Athens. In 1793, a statue depicting the goddess of victory bearing a symbol of peace was added.
The Brandenburg Gate was built as a symbol of peace. During the Cold War, when the gate was located right near the border between east and West Berlin, it became a symbol of a divided city.
Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Brandenburg Gate has become the symbol of a reunified Berlin.